Castello di San Lorenzo
St. Lawrence castle is located in the homonym village near Torre de’ Picenardi, surrounded by its beautiful park. The very first proofs of its existence date back to the 15th century but the first settlement in the area is probably much more antique. Up to the first half of the 16th century the castle belonged to the Picenardi family. It was later acquired by the Crema family and after a few decades it was inherited by the noble Giovanni Carlo Sforzosi, who passed it down in 1731 to his nephew Lorenzo Francesco Crotti. The Crotti family kept the property until 1912.
The castle as it appears today is the result of many renovation campaigns. The most important is the one which was done during the 19th century and which has given the castle the structure it still keeps nowadays. In 1829 the Crotti and Calciati family commissioned to the architect Luigi Voghera from Cremona a huge building intervention in order to restyle the façade and build its majestic castellated medieval towers and create a visual scenographic impact. In contrast with the exterior of medieval inspiration, the inner rooms are decorated in neoclassical style.
In 1939 the castle was acquired by the noble Angiola Soregaroli Cappelli Agarossi from Cremona. Her family kept the property until 1999 when they decided to sell it. The current owners are Lorenzoni and Nicoli families.